Bay State Wine Lovers Toast New Wine Direct Shipping Law Long-Awaited Relief from State’s Archaic Ban on Winery-to-Consumer Direct Shipping July 11, 2014, Napa, CA – Wine lovers of Massachusetts...
January 15, 2014
Massachusetts: Vote on Favorable Bill Expected Winter 2014
As previously reported, the Joint Committee on Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure added our direct shipping bill to the list of more than a dozen bills heard on November 12. Committee chair Senator Thomas Kennedy added the bills to the previously scheduled hearing, saying, “I have heard from an overwhelming number of Massachusetts residents on this piece of legislation.”
Industry representatives anticipate the Committee will vote on the bill in the next few months.
Pennsylvania: Support DTC Shipping in January!
As previously reported, there are several wine direct shipping bills in play in the Keystone State. It now appears that direct shipping language will be included in a larger “modernization” bill and voted on in the Senate by the first week in February. In addition, we are tracking several freestanding direct wine shipping bills. Wine industry representatives continue to work closely with PA legislators to pass a wine shipping law that expands choice for wine lovers while avoiding onerous taxes.
ACTION: Include a paragraph on PA in your January and February consumer e-newsletters, and post it on Facebook. Consumers there are doing a great job writing letters to their legislators in support of our cause. Click here for copy to use.
What’s in Store for 2014?
Some clear priorities for 2014 include, but are certainly not limited to, the following:
- NJ: Fix it legislation to correct the onerous corporate reporting and tax requirements
- SD: There is a campaign underway to pass enabling legislation
- DE: A new bill is expected
- VT: The state alcohol regulators will conduct a regulatory review of DTC laws (tax collection, shipping infractions, etc.) in advance of any legislative fix. Wineries can expect an extra level of scrutiny in shipments to VT.
Attend the DTC Wine Symposium for a complete picture of 2014 priorities — Steve Gross, Vice President of State Relations at Wine Institute, delivers his “State of the States” presentation to describe where we’ve been, and where we’re going.
10 REASONS TO ATTEND THE 2014 DTC WINE SYMPOSIUM (if you still need them)
January 22-3, 2014, South San Francisco Conference Center
For next week’s event we are expecting a large turnout, an exciting program of speakers, and the most diverse group of industry sponsors of any DTC Wine Symposium.
If you are looking for more reasons to register for the 7th annual summit, here are ten:
- First Presentation of 2013 DTC Data: ShipCompliant and Wines&Vines have moved up publication of their highly informative annual Direct Shipping Report to coincide with the DTCWS. Jeff Carroll from ShipCompliant will give the first public presentation of the 2014 report.
- Hear Tips from Other Luxury Marketers: A panel of senior execs from XOJET, Cathay Pacific and others will share how they engage today’s luxury consumer, and how that might translate to your winery.
- Learn How you can Benefit from the “Visit California” Campaign: For the first time, the DTCWS will include a ‘State of Wine Tourism’ presentation by “Visit California’s” VP Marketing.
- Get the Sneak Peek at Wine Market Council’s Report on Winery Wine Club Members: In anticipation of his presentations in New York and Santa Rosa on January 28 and 31, WMC President John Gillespie will present aggregated highlights of the Council’s in depth survey of U.S. winery wine club members. (For info on the WMC conferences, visit http://winemarketcouncil.com/)
- Find Out Which States You’ll Target Next: Steve Gross’ popular legislative wrap up will show you what states you might be adding next to your DTC program.
- Glean Insights from FedEx’s User Group Session: FedEx, a 7-year Platinum sponsor, has scheduled its own client session on Day 1 to help you focus on the impact of how FedEx’s delivery options will help you grow your US and global DTC sales.
- Network! Now you have 2-days of schmoozing. We anticipate at last 400 total attendees, primarily marketing, club and tasting room managers, senior managers, owners. The DTCWS is a “big tent” – we’re all there to learn, make new contacts, recruit new suppliers and staff, etc. There’s even a session on career development.
- Decide on Your Partners for 2014: Where else can you talk to Snooth, WineDirect, FedEx, eCellar, bLoyal, UPS, Amazon, Nexternal, VinoVisit, WISE, and many more…all in one place? Don’t miss the Day 1 Wine Reception on the Trade Show floor!
- Convenient for Travelers: The conference center is a quick 5-minute cab ride from SFO. Easy in, easy out.
- Worthwhile Conference, For a Great Cause. Your participation helps the whole industry to open new states and streamline existing regulations.
Here are links to important information: